I just found a nice app for playing DOS games on mac os x without this fucking DOSBox configuration shit.It’s called Boxer and to get Theme Hospital work, follow these steps:
Attention: Due to the localized folder names, the apps are possibly named in another way.
- Download Boxer from here
- Open the disk image and copy the Boxer app to your harddisk.
- Run the app. It will configure some stuff and create a folder in your user’s root called DOS-Games. According to the manual you can put this folder whereever you want to.
- Get a copy of the game. I just used my old cd.
- Open the CD in finder and run DOSSETUP/SETUP.EXE.
- This will start the boxer.app and the included installer.
- The game installation will popup. Run through the process. If you have problems with mouse handling hold down the alt key and click into the boxer window.
- Choose the language you prefer.
- Set up your soundcard: Sound Effects => Creative Labs Sound Blaster or 100% Compatible; Music => Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16
- Install the game completely.
- After the copy process is finished, exit the installation.
- Quit the DOS window (CMD+Q)
- Boxer will ask you, if you want to import the CD. Do so!
- When the CD copy task was finished, Boxer will quit and show you the DOS-Games folder. You will find an icon called “Theme Hospital.boxer”.
- Eject your CD and hit the icon.
- Choose HOSPITAL.EXE and Run this game. Allow Boxer to always run this file.
- And there you are :) Hit CMD+F to switch to fullscreen mode.
For further information to the boxer app, check the manual. Have fun :)